The WINTER SCHOOL of the Pilote Course of the STUD.IO: Sociability Through Urban Design Innovation project took place in Enna at the Univestità degli Studi di Enna “KORE”.
The Winter School entitled: Interdisciplinary Approach to Promote Sociability in Urban Environments gathered together 40 students from the universities involved in the project from Slovakia, Spain, Romania and Italy.
The program included lectures, between theory and practice, to deepen the interdisciplinary approach in the field of promoting socio-economic and urban well-being, analyzing elements of sociology, environment, urban planning, and psychology for the training of a professional who can read social contexts, engage citizens in participation, and propose models and concrete actions for improvement.
The Winter School took place between January 16 – 28.
- During the second day of the Winter School of the Stud.IO project at UKE Università Kore Enna – pagina ufficiale , students delved into the topics of “Urban neglect and vandalism – Building and Recreate Urban Pathways and Sustainable Communities” with Prof. Malizia and continued with hands-on activities in the afternoon with Dr. Galati, in particular delving into the use of questionnaires and focus groups for research activities.
- After delving into the sociological aspects of the training course, students on the third day together with Prof. Violeta Rotarescu – Associate Professor at Universitatea din București discussed the psychological aspects of Sociability. In the afternoon, tools for the management of local development activities were explored with dr. Salvatore Alagna through the technique of the “problem and solution tree analysis”, during which students put into practice activities that could be developed in different contexts.
- After delving into theoretical, sociological and psychological aspects, the students were engaged in practical activities coordinated by the faculty of the Etsab Barcelona School of Architecture and Staff from Unione degli Assessorati (Palermo).
In particular, the students carried out a site visit and participatory exploration activities at the Municipality of Calascibetta.
During the visit, they were met by referents from the municipality and continued the explorations over two days. Also, the students explored streets and spaces through the directions of the teachers. Streets, corners and squares became the subject of workshop and reconstruction during the afternoon activities.
- During the tenth day of the Winter School, UPC and SUA teachers at the Faculty of Engineering and Architecture, ‘Laboratory 1’ classroom (drawing room) Università Kore di Enna explained the main aspects of city drawing, green infrastructure, and public open spaces study, with a brainstorming activity on ideas how to improve the attractiveness of the place and support the sociability.
- During the last day of Winter School, students divided into 4 mixed working groups, presented excerpts of the activities and knowledge learned during the course. Specifically, each group made an experimental presentation of pathways and ideas applicable to urban contexts for promoting #Sociability.
The presentations were evaluated by the professors for release of the certificate of participation and the winter school evaluation.
Erasmus+ Project STUD.IO Sociability Through Urban Design Innovation 2020-1-IT02-KA203-079833
Erasmus + Strategic Partnerships for adult education
Funded by the European Union. However, the views expressed belong to the author(s) alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of the European Union or the European Education and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA). Neither the European Union nor the EACEA can be held responsible for them